Empire State Development Owner’s Representative - Norsk Titanium
Client: Empire State Development | Location: Plattsburgh, New York | Completion Date: 2018-2019 | Services Provided: Civil Engineering & Construction Administration
As announced by Governor Cuomo in the 2016-2017 New York State budget, Norsk Titanium, founded and based in Norway, has established a U.S. subsidiary in Plattsburgh, New York. Norsk will further establish a U.S. headquarters, production and development facility at a new North Country Hub for Innovative Manufacturing Nanotechnology in Plattsburgh, where the company will produce titanium components for aerospace and other industries through its proprietary Rapid Plasma Deposition additive manufacturing process. This project will expand New York’s high-tech corridor from Western New York to the North Country.
ESD’s role in this project is to administer $125 million in state funds that have been appropriated for the project, and made available as a grant to Fort Schuyler Management Corporation (FSMC). In turn, and on behalf of SUNY Polytechnic University (SUNY Poly), FSMC has contracted with Whiting-Turner as the project design-builder.
Aubertine and Curriers role is to supervise and monitor construction activities and the use of ESD grant funds.
The project will consist of the construction of an up to 100,000 square foot multi-purpose building at the site of the former Plattsburgh Airport. The new facility will consist of headquarters, administrative, development and production space. Construction will occur where the former airport’s terminal buildings currently stand. The Professional Services provided to Empire State Development ESD included assisting ESD with the following tasks:
- Review of project budget and monthly payment applications
- Field verification of level of completeness
- Cost estimating & project cost control reporting when applicable
- Insuring project maintains design/construction schedules
- Change order, claims, & risk management
- MWBE compliance and reporting
- Review bidding of subcontracts and/or vendors to ensure compliance with established protocols
- Provide no-less-than weekly summaries of activity on each project
- Review of submittals and management of submittal process
- Auditing certified payroll
- Management of owner third party contracts associated with project if required
(inspections, estimating services, expeditors, etc.)
- Quality assurance and control planning and implementation
- Ensuring proper record keeping on project
In addition, A&C will inspect the project sites, monitor the progress of the projects, attend project related meetings, and/or perform other ad-hoc services relating to the construction project as may be directed by ESD.