Client: Trinity Church | Location: Watertown, NY | Completion Date: 2010 | Services Provided: Architectural, Engineering (Structural & Civil), Land Surveying
This project entailed the design of a new 10,000 sf Parish Center building directly attached to the existing historic Church in downtown Watertown. The historic Trinity Episcopal Church was built in 1889 and is a massive rambling Richardsonian style, random coursed, ashlar stone structure. The 2.2 acre property includes the 12,000 sf Church and original 41,000 sf 3 -story Parish Hall that was constructed in 1912, which at one time housed educational classrooms, gymnasium, office, and other functions. During the preliminary phase of the project, Aubertine and Currier worked closely with the State Historic Preservation Office (SHPO) to meet the NYS requirements and to preserve the character of the adjacent historic church, and decommissioned 1912 Parish Hall.
The new Parish Center was designed to serve as a gathering place for the church members and community. The Center includes Parish Hall meeting space for Community events, a full service kitchen utilized for the preparation of meal services provided to community’s needy, a nursery, a choir room, reception area, administration offices, lobby, restrooms, and enclosed corridor connecting to the church. Other site improvements included the development of parking and service drives, pedestrian walkways connecting to the churches lawn/garden areas, walkway connections to the adjacent municipal parking lots, sanitary sewer relocation, storm sewer construction, and domestic/fire water service to the building.
The new Parish Center was designed and constructed utilizing LEED Green Building Principles including a super-insulated building envelope, durable and low maintenance materials and engineered structural components. In addition, the mechanical and electrical systems have been designed, installed and tested for maximum comfort and efficiency. The Whole Building Energy Model Analysis (which analyzes the combined energy efficiency of insulation, windows, lighting and heating ventilation and air conditioning) showed our design to be 32% better than ASHRAE design standards.
Notice to proceed with construction was not received until late in August of 2009, but mild weather allowed the team to get slightly ahead of the building schedule. The project reached substantial completion on July 16, 2010 and was turned over to the owner July 23, 2010. Aubertine and Currier performed the construction management duties and daily coordination of all subcontractors throughout