Excellence in Design, Enriching Our Community

St. Lawrence Seaway Development Corporation - Security Building & Visitor’s Center

Client: St. Lawrence Seaway Development Corporation | Location: Massena, NY  | Completion Date: 2014/2015  | Services Provided: Architectural, Engineering (Structural & Civil), Land Surveying  

In 2009, Aubertine and Currier was one of three firms awarded a five (5) year Indefinite Delivery Indefinite Quantity (IDIQ) contract to perform Professional Services for the Saint Lawrence Seaway Development Corporation (SLSDC). The SLSDC is a wholly owned U.S. Government corporation within the U.S. Department of Transportation, which owns and operates that portion of the St. Lawrence Seaway in U.S. territorial waters between Lake Ontario and Montreal, Canada. A major part of this function is the operation and maintenance of the Eisenhower and Snell Locks located on Barnhart Island, adjacent to the NYPA’s St. Lawrence Power Project and Robert Moses State Park, in Massena, NY. These locks were constructed in the 1950’s and opened to deep water navigation of the St. Lawrence River in 1959.

In 2011, A&C was assigned a task order to complete an Existing Conditions Survey of the SLSDC’s Eisenhower Lock Visitors Center facility. The existing buildings included a Visitors Center with 2nd & 3rd story viewing platforms, a separate restroom and a temporary security office housed in a trailer. A report was prepared outlining the projected costs associated with the renovation/reconstruction of the buildings versus the demolition of the buildings and the construction of new buildings. The findings in the report supported the design of a new facility to better service operations of the lock and safely accommodate visitors and staff.

To prioritize facility needs and budget constraints, the project was designed for construction in two Phases. The Security and Restroom Building was designed and constructed for visitors to pass thru as they enter the property. Visitors then continue along secured areas adjacent to the lock via a covered walk-way to enter a new 3-story 8,800 sf Visitors Center. The new Visitors Center will contain an elevator, kitchen area, gift shop, security offices, training rooms and display areas for historic lock construction artifacts and photographs. The 2nd and 3rd story covered patios face the river side to allow visitors to view into the Lock as ships pass thru.

The new facility allows for year round activities and training to be conducted within the training rooms, and new public spaces that were not available previously in the old facilities. This new state of the art facility was designed to incorporate several sustainable features in the design, while utilizing natural and locally available materials. The facility’s utility systems were designed to be energy efficient and the entire facility was designed following industry leading LEED guidelines and principles.

522 Bradley Street
Watertown, New York 13601


Aubertine and Currier Architects, Engineers, & Land Surveyors, PLLC © 2019